From February 1 to March 31, 2020, you are invited to send NHMLAC photographs of the snails and slugs you find throughout Southern California. Help us reach our goal of 1500 observations by the end of SnailBlitz 2020.
One of NHMLAC’s community science projects, SLIME (Snails and Slugs Living in Metropolitan Environments), is the first to catalogue the biodiversity of terrestrial gastropods (land snails and slugs) in Los Angeles County and throughout Southern California. SnailBlitz 2020 supports the SLIME project by taking advantage of our rainy season.
How to Participate in SnailBlitz 2020
Take a photo of any Southern California snail or slug between February 1 and March 31, 2020. Then share your photo with NHMLAC in one of four ways. Please include date and location (address or intersection) for each photo.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Text 213.663.6632 OR
- Post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook using #SnailBlitz OR
- Post directly to SnailBlitz 2020 project page on iNaturalist. If you don’t know what it is, you may identify it as “Common Land Snails and Slugs” or “Stylommatophora”.
SnailBlitz 2020 Photo Contest
Will your snail or slug photo be a winner? Every eligible* observation you submit will automatically get entered into our #SnailBlitz photo contest. On April 5 we will announce the winners. Contest categories include:
- Grand Prize Winner
- Best Snail Photo
- Best Slug Photo
- Rarest Snail/Slug Photo
- Grand Prize Winner will receive one free annual family membership to NHMLAC (includes membership for two adults and up to four children age 17 and under)
- Winners in all other categories will receive 4 general admission tickets to NHM
*To be eligible for the photo contest, the photo must meet the following criteria:
- Photo of a wild snail or slug, no pet snail or slug photos. Must be a land snail or slug (no marine or freshwater snails/slugs).
- Taken in Southern California, defined as the ten southernmost counties in California (i.e., San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino Counties and all counties south of these).
- Taken between February 1 and March 31, 2020 (winners will be announced on April 5)
Terms and Conditions
- The Museum reserves the right to substitute other prizes of equivalent value.
- Museum employees (full and part-time) are not eligible to receive prizes.
Twila Bratcher Chair in Malacological Research
Header image by Emily Han, SnailBlitz 2018 grand prize winner