From June 1-July 31, 2017, NHMLA invites Southern Californians to send in photographs of reptiles and amphibians they encounter in Los Angeles County and throughout Southern California. Help us reach our goal of 2,500 images from 575 participants by the end of RASCalsBlitz 2017.
RASCals (Reptiles and Amphibians of Southern California) is an NHMLA citizen science project that aims to catalogue the biodiversity of reptiles and amphibians in Los Angeles County and throughout Southern California. The RASCalsBlitz 2017 photo contest is being held to support the RASCals project.
Will your reptile or amphibian photo be a winner? Every *eligible* observation you submit will automatically get entered into our #RASCalsBlitz photo contest. On August 4 we will announce the winners.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Take a photo of any Southern California reptile or amphibian between June 1 and July 31, 2017. Then share your photo with NHMLA in 1 of 4 ways. Please include date and location (address or intersection) for each photo.
• E-mail us email@example.com OR
• Text us 213.663.6632 OR
• Post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook using #RASCalsBlitz OR
• Post directly to the RASCalsBlitz 2017 project page on iNaturalist: www.inaturalist.org/projects/rascalsblitz-2017
• Grand Prize Winner
• Best Reptile Photo
• Best Amphibian Photo
• Rarest Reptile/Amphibian Photo
• Best Action/Behavioral Photo (mating, predation, territorial display, etc)
• Grand Prize Winner will receive:
- free lunch and behind-the-scenes tour for you and 3 friends with Greg Pauly (NHMLA Curator of Herpetology)
- one free annual family membership to NHMLA (includes membership for two adults and up to four children age 17 and under)
• Winners in all other categories will receive 4 general admission tickets to NHMLA
To be eligible for the photo contest, the photo must meet the following criteria:
1. Photo of a wild reptile or amphibian, no pet reptiles or pet amphibian photos.
2. Taken in Southern California, defined as the ten southernmost counties in California (i.e., San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino Counties and all counties south of these).
3. Taken between June 1 and July 31, 2017 (winners will be announced on August 4)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
*By submitting photos to the RASCalsBlitz 2017, and the RASCals project, the photographer is granting the Museum the rights (1) to reproduce the photos for any Museum purpose, (2) to allow others working with the Museum to do the same, and (3) to use her or his name in connection with publicizing the RASCals project.
**The Museum reserves the right to substitute other prizes of equivalent value.
Banner photo by Eric Cleveland