From Feb. 1-March 31, 2018, Angelenos were invited to send NHMLA photographs of the snails and slugs they encountered throughout Southern California. Over 260 people submitted over 1,470 images of 58 species by the end of SnailBlitz 2018.
• Grand Prize Winner: Emily Han - Small Pointed Snail (Cochlicella barbara)
• Best Snail Photo: BJ Stacy - Family Helminthoglyptidae & Matt Kowal - Garden Snail (Cornu aspersum)
• Best Slug Photo: Alex Bairstow - Milky Slug (Deroceras reticulatum)
• Rarest Snail/Slug Photo: James Bailey - Tehachapi Shoulderband (Helminthoglypta berryi) First time this species has been recorded on iNaturalist!
SnailBlitz 2019 will take place from February 1 to March 31, 2019. Visit this page in early 2019 for information about next year's photo contest.
While SnailBlitz 2018 is now over, read below for information on how people participated and about the 2018 photo contest.
One of NHMLA’s community science projects, SLIME (Snails and Slugs Living in Metropolitan Environments), is the first community science project that aims to catalogue the biodiversity of terrestrial gastropods (land snails and slugs) in Los Angeles County and throughout Southern California. SnailBlitz 2018 supports the SLIME project by taking advantage of our rainy weather.
How to Participate in SnailBlitz 2018
Take a photo of any Southern California snail or slug between February 1 and March 31, 2018. Then share your photo with NHMLA in one of four ways. Please include date and location (address or intersection) for each photo.
• E-mail email@example.com OR
• Text 213.663.6632 OR
• Post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook using #SnailBlitz OR
• Post directly to SnailBlitz 2018 project page on iNaturalist
SnailBlitz 2018 Photo Contest
Will your snail or slug photo be a winner? Every *eligible* observation you submit will automatically get entered into our #SnailBlitz photo contest. On April 6 we will announce the winners. Contest categories include:
• Grand Prize Winner
• Best Snail Photo
• Best Slug Photo
• Rarest Snail/Slug Photo
• Grand Prize Winner will receive: free lunch and behind the scenes tour with Jann Vendetti (NHMLA Curator of Malacology) for you and 3 friends , and one free annual family membership to NHMLA (includes membership for two adults and up to four children age 17 and under)
• Winners in all other categories will receive 4 general admission tickets to NHMLA
To be eligible for the photo contest, the photo must meet the following criteria:
1. Photo of a wild snail or slug, no pet snail or slug photos. Must be a land snail or slug (no marine or freshwater snails/slugs).
2. Taken in Southern California, defined as the ten southernmost counties in California (i.e., San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino Counties and all counties south of these).
3. Taken between February 1 and March 31, 2018 (winners will be announced on April 6)
Terms and Conditions
*By submitting photos to the SnailBlitz 2018, and the SLIME project, the photographer is granting the Museum the rights (1) to reproduce the photos for any Museum purpose, (2) to allow others working with the Museum to do the same, and (3) to use her or his name in connection with publicizing the SLIME project.
**The Museum reserves the right to substitute other prizes of equivalent value.
***Museum employees (full and part-time) are not eligible to receive prizes.
Twila Bratcher Chair in Malacological Research
Banner photo by Amanda Zellmer, SnailBlitz 2017 grand prize winner