From February 1 to March 31, 2019, you are invited to send NHMLA photographs of the snails and slugs you encounter throughout Southern California. Help us reach our goal of 1500 observations by the end of SnailBlitz 2019.
One of NHMLA’s community science projects, SLIME (Snails and Slugs Living in Metropolitan Environments), is the first community science project that aims to catalogue the biodiversity of terrestrial gastropods (land snails and slugs) in Los Angeles County and throughout Southern California. SnailBlitz 2019 supports the SLIME project by taking advantage of our rainy weather.
How to Participate in SnailBlitz 2019
Take a photo of any Southern California snail or slug between February 1 and March 31, 2019. Then share your photo with NHMLA in one of four ways. Please include date and location (address or intersection) for each photo.
• E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org OR
• Text 213.663.6632 OR
• Post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook using #SnailBlitz OR
• Post directly to SnailBlitz 2019 project page on iNaturalist
SnailBlitz 2019 Photo Contest
Will your snail or slug photo be a winner? Every *eligible* observation you submit will automatically get entered into our #SnailBlitz photo contest. On April 5 we will announce the winners. Contest categories include:
• Grand Prize Winner
• Best Snail Photo
• Best Slug Photo
• Rarest Snail/Slug Photo
• Grand Prize Winner will receive one free annual family membership to NHMLA (includes membership for two adults and up to four children age 17 and under)
• Winners in all other categories will receive 4 general admission tickets to NHMLA
To be eligible for the photo contest, the photo must meet the following criteria:
1. Photo of a wild snail or slug, no pet snail or slug photos. Must be a land snail or slug (no marine or freshwater snails/slugs).
2. Taken in Southern California, defined as the ten southernmost counties in California (i.e., San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino Counties and all counties south of these).
3. Taken between February 1 and March 31, 2019 (winners will be announced on April 5)
Terms and Conditions
*By submitting photos to the SnailBlitz 2019, and the SLIME project, the photographer is granting the Museum the rights (1) to reproduce the photos for any Museum purpose, (2) to allow others working with the Museum to do the same, and (3) to use her or his name in connection with publicizing the SLIME project.
**The Museum reserves the right to substitute other prizes of equivalent value.
***Museum employees (full and part-time) are not eligible to receive prizes.
Twila Bratcher Chair in Malacological Research
Banner photo by Emily Han, SnailBlitz 2018 grand prize winner