- 900 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Hours: 9:30 am - 5 pm daily
Schedule of Activities
TOURS AND HUNTS
Bird Life in Urban L.A. | 9:45 am
Join a 45-minute exploration through Expo Park with NHMLA's bird expert, Kimball Garrett
SLIME Hunting | 11:00 am
Slow down and learn how to find and photograph snails and slugs for science. Come learn that there is so much more to these fascinating animals than you ever suspected.
Bug Hunting | 2:00 pm
How many insects live in our nature garden? A lot! Put your nature eyes on and help us find and photograph them for our L.A. Nature Map.
Rat Chat | 10:00 am
Watch our animal keepers train and feed our Norway rats in the Nature Lab
BioSCAN Project | 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Chat with volunteers sorting insect material for the museum’s BioSCAN project
Mushrooms of Los Angeles
Live Animal Presentation: Come visit one of your wild neighbors!
Get the inside scoop on L.A.’s famous Hollywood Mountain Lion, P-22!
Get the inside scoop on beautiful and local hikes with author Casey Schreiner.
Bugs and Botany: What’s all the buzz about habitat gardening?
Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern California with author Shawnte Salabert
* seating available on a first come first served basis.
Storytelling Puppet Show. We invite you to listen to an enchanting story about local wildlife friends, with puppets
Taxidermy Demo: Observe a step-by-step demonstration on preserving an animal
P-22 Performance: Come catch a live interview with P-22, the elusive mountain lion of Griffith Park, in this hilarious mask performance.
Snake Feeding! Come watch one of our (live) snakes have a (dead) snack!
9:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Keep an eye out for our “Keeper Chats” hosted by our Live Animal Program Team and Tracy Alden! Meet a variety of animals and hear stories about how we care for them. Throughout the day in the Nature Lab, Insect Zoo, and Butterfly Pavilion!
- Join the museum’s garden staff in the Pollinator Meadow as we hunt for bugs, birds, and blooms.
- Hands on activity stations include making of Nature Journaling, Nature Bookmarks, Animal Ears and We Heart P-22
- Look out for special pop-up performances in the Nature Gardens
- Nature Scavenger Hunts
- Ask a Garden Expert
- Rock Stacking
- Look through the Spotting Scope
- Explore the LADWP Green House and learn about the many ways to save energy inside this fun, educational and interactive home!
NHMLA RESEARCH & COLLECTIONS
Talk to scientists and nature experts on site to answer all your questions. Participating NHMLA staff:
Marine Biodiversity Center Project: DISCO
Rancho La Brea
Urban Nature Research Center
Face Painting with Robin Cohen
Chaparral Mountain Honey Company
Mineralogical Society of Southern California
Farm Fresh to You
LA Zoo & Botanical Gardens
Los Angeles Mycological Society
California Native Plant Society
California Tortoise and Tortoise Society
City of LA Stormwater Program
LA Green Grounds
Southwestern Herpetological Society
Los Angeles Audubon
Aquarium of the Pacific
Kimura Bonsai and Landscape Nursery
Southern California Paleontological Society
Modern Hiker + Hiking Pacific Crest Trail: authors Casey Schreiner & Shawnte Salabert
Citizens for Los Angeles Wildlife (CLAW)
National Park Service: La Troca Truck
Art of Tea
Narrated Objects – Publisher of We Heart P-22 coloring book
LA County Department of Public Works
Nature of Wildworks
Wildlife Learning Center
Rattle Snakes with Tracy Alden