A NEW WAY TO MUSEUM
At NHM, we are not your typical museum experience. We are more than just walls and fossils. We are hands-on. We are the past, present and future. We are indoors, outdoors and all over Los Angeles. We are a new way to museum.
Here are just a few suggestions on how experience our museum in a whole new way:
A NEW WAY TO DINOSAUR
- Explore the 14,000-square foot Dinosaur Hall and see land and sea creatures from millions of years ago, including the world’s only T. rex Growth series
- Visit the Dino Lab and see real paleontologists prepare the fossils they discovered in the field.
- Witness a Dinosaur Encounters show and see a juvenile T. rex puppet come to life (if you dare!!)
- Dig deeper and become a “paleontologist” with our digital interactives and learn about fossil hunting, game changing discoveries and our latest dinosaur research
A NEW WAY TO NATURE
- Go on a nature hunt in NHM’s new 3 ½ acre Nature Gardens – a magnet for hummingbirds, bees, butterflies, and more – and discover the amazing biodiversity of life that also calls L.A. home.
- Stop by the pond and see who lives there and after run free in our urban water feature
- Get your hands dirty in our Get Dirty Zone and see how roots grow, search for pillbugs and learn about compost.
- Check out our Edible Garden and learn how to grow your own at home
- Get surprised by what’s in your own backyard in the Nature Lab, where you can explore the nature of L.A. in hands-on exhibits
- Walk among the butterflies in the NHM Butterfly Pavilion and discover more than 30 native North American butterfly species
A NEW WAY TO GEEK OUT
- Awaken your senses with great music, garden-inspired cocktails, hands-on garden and science projects, botanical garden tours, food trucks and more at the annual Summer Nights in the Garden event. FREE! RSVP today!
- Discover something new for all ages in a variety of programs – from Critter Clubs to cocktails with our scientists. Found out more here.
- Find your inner-geologist in our Gem and Mineral Hall, and discover more than 2,000 spectacular specimens from around the world
- Travel through the epic evolutionary story that spans 65 million years in Age of Mammals
A NEW WAY TO L.A.
- Become a citizen scientist and help our researchers discover new species in L.A. by sharing what your find out in nature – whether it’s on a hike, in your own backyard, or even a day at the beach. Learn more about our Citizen Science initiatives here
- Join us a for a BioBlitz Meet Up throughout the region and learn how to take the best wildlife photos and post them directly to the L.A. Nature Map. Get tips on how to identify some of our iconic wildlife while you’re out there.
- Learn how nature’s impact on man and man’s impact on nature shaped the metropolis we live in today in the exhibition Becoming Los Angeles