Creating Compassionate Classrooms: Empathy Building with Animals with the L.A. Zoo
Join us as we share strategies and interactive lessons to introduce care, understanding, and compassion to the ecology of your classroom in partnership with the Los Angeles Zoo. Inspired by the empathetic best practices of scientist and activist, Dr. Jane Goodall, we’ll learn how the education and animal care teams of the L.A. Zoo and Natural History Museum embrace empathy in our animal care and pedagogical approaches in programming with students. We’ll also get a chance to explore our newest exhibition, Becoming Jane: The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall, and see first-hand how Jane’s novel approach to research and discovery changed the landscape of future scientific studies with animals, as well as how building empathy can encourage advocacy and stewardship of our planet.
Becoming Jane: The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall is an exhibit organized and traveled by the National Geographic Society in partnership with the Jane Goodall Institute. On view now through April 17, 2022.
Important Workshop Information
- Our workshops fill up incredibly fast! Please only sign up if you are sure you can make it - and if plans change, cancel your RSVP to give a space to someone on the waitlist.
- This workshop will be held partially outdoors; please dress weather appropriate.
- Light breakfast will be available starting at 8:45AM.
- Educators will receive free parking in our Car Park before 9:15AM.
- In accordance with local city ordinances, all workshop attendees are required to show proof of vaccination with valid photo ID. Those with medical or religious exemptions may present a negative COVID-19 test performed within 72 hours. Per Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, we are still requiring masks be worn at all times in all of our indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status.
- While we love welcoming your families to our museums, this specific program is intended for formal & informal educators who are adults (18+).
- In-person workshops are subject to cancellation due to low registration, inclement weather, or changes in COVID safety measures.