Results of the 2019 City Nature Challenge
Over 150 cities from around the world competed in the 2019 City Nature Challenge. Worldwide, 35,126 people contributed 963,773 observations and 31,000+ species.
The winners in the big three categories were:
- Observations: Cape Town, South Africa with 53,763 observations
- Species: Cape Town, South Africa with 4,588 species
- People: San Francisco, CA, USA with 1,947 observers
Los Angeles County made the top 10 for each category!
- Observations: 34,125 (9th place)
- Species: 3,249 (4th place)
- People: 1,555 (2nd place)
Altogether, Los Angeles did tremendously well. Some of the highlights include:
- Los Angeles had the greatest increase in number of observations over last year: an increase of 14,702 observations!
- Los Angeles had the greatest increase in number of people observing over last year: an increase of 700 people!
- Over 1/3 of our observers were new to iNaturalist in the two weeks before CNC began!
City Nature Challenge is brought to you by the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and California Academy of Sciences.