Habitats of North America
In this Photo Gallery, explore the varied habitats of North America through our classic dioramas!
Explore our Dioramas
Our famous dioramas, found across three large galleries on two floors, provide dozens of windows into the hidden world of wildlife. Our team of skilled artists adds new specimens every year, accurately re-creating natural habitats in painstaking detail from the smallest blade of grass to the largest walrus.
Take a tour through North America through images of our amazing dioramas, featuring a diversity of mammals and their habitats! Below, find question prompts to get students looking closer at these detailed displays-- either in these images, or during your next visit to the Museum!
Ovis dalli stonei
North American beaver
Caribou or Reindeer
Ursus arctos horribilis
North American river otter
1 of 1
Discussion Prompts for Mammal Dioramas
- What is going on in this diorama? What do you see that makes you say that?
- What time of day/year is it? How can you tell?
- What features does the animal have that would be helpful in this habitat?
- What might you hear or smell if you were standing in the location this diorama depicts?
- Imagine you are drawing a word bubble for each animal in the scene: what might they say?