Wonder takes flight at the Museum! Walk among beautiful butterflies in our seasonal Butterfly Pavilion. This springtime exhibition features hundreds of butterflies, colorful native plants, and plenty of natural light to help you see these creatures shimmer. With lots of flight space and a variety of resting spots, come get one of the best views in Los Angeles of these amazing insects.
Learn more in the video below:
here is for credit
1 of 1
ALONG THE WAY, YOU'LL:
- See all stages in the butterfly life cycle, including eggs, caterpillars feeding on leaves, and chrysalises.
- See caterpillars feeding on leaves.
- Count up to 30 different species, including California natives like the Western tiger swallowtail and Common buckeye. View our Butterfly Pavilion Guide in English or Spanish.
- Chat with museum educators and animal care specialists to find out what makes these animals so special.
- Have a chance to shop in the NHM Butterfly Pavilion store.
This exhibition includes live animals. Did you know the Museum has a professional animal care team on site 365 days a year? They take excellent care of all animals on exhibit at the Museum, utilizing the natural history expertise of our scientists as well as our veterinarian, who advises on any medical and nutritional needs. Because even a frog needs a doctor sometimes.