Before Your Field Trip
A Field Guide for Field Trips
Ready for your field trip to the Natural History Museum? Use the checklist below to ensure you’ve got everything you need for a successful field trip!
BEFORE YOUR FIELD TRIP
- Check that the information in your confirmation e-mail is correct. Haven’t filled out a field trip request form yet? Book your visit.
- Looking for a museum map, park guide, or tips for your visit? Our Field Trip Guide (also available in Spanish) has everything you need to stay organized. Print copies for all of your adults and fill out any reservation times for Guided Programs, Performances, and Special Exhibits.
- Visit our Teacher Resources page to download free, grade-appropriate lesson plans and activities for your visit.
- Provide directions to the Natural History Museum to your drivers.
- Optional: Pre-order school group lunches. Contact the NHM Grill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213.763.3250.
ON YOUR WAY
- Bus drop-off and pick-up occurs on Exposition Park Drive in front of the South Lawn of the museum.
- Bus parking is available in Lot 6 for $12/bus (additional charges may apply for charter buses).
- Personal vehicle and van parking is available for $12/car in the NHM Car Park on Bill Robertson Lane.
- Leave lunches on the bus, in vehicles, or securely zipped in backpacks. Because of the sensitive nature of our collections, we cannot store lunches in the museum. Thanks for protecting our collections!
- If you are running late, give us a call at 213.763.3529.
YOUR FIELD TRIP BEGINS!
- When you arrive, gather your group on the South Lawn or steps (keeping entry doors clear) and count the number of students, chaperones, and teachers.
- Send one teacher inside with your final headcount to check in with School Programs at the Front Desk.
- Remind your chaperones that students must stay within eyesight at all times and to review the Field Trip Policies available on their Field Trip Guide.
- Once your group is checked in and stickers have been provided to all adults, use the doors on the left or right (not the center doors) to enter the museum.
FIELD TRIP POLICIES
Take a look at the important information below to help you and your students be prepared for their field trip experience. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com!
- Admission to the museum and reservations for performances, programs, or special exhibits are free for all students and school staff (including teachers, one-to-one aides, teaching assistants, and administrators).
- We require a minimum of one chaperone for every ten students, and cover up to one additional chaperone for every five students. Chaperones beyond the 1:5 ratio are still welcome; however, they will need to purchase a discounted $12 chaperone ticket upon arrival. Exceptions apply to Title I schools. Additional adults not be included in add-on reservations and may need to purchase tickets for special exhibits.
- Students must be with a teacher or chaperone at all times, regardless of age. Chaperones are responsible for the behavior of the students in their group. Please monitor students closely while in the Museum Store.
- Please arrive to all program, performance, or special exhibit reservations at least 10 minutes prior to your reservation time; we may not be able to accommodate late arrivals. Please pre-divide your students into groups for your reservations before your visit. Group numbers are listed in your confirmation email.
- All school groups must eat outside on the South Lawn (not in the NHM Grill, Café Patio, or in our Nature Gardens), even if food is purchased from NHM. Please see the Field Trip Guide for school group designated lunch areas. Visiting on a very rainy day? We’ve got you covered (literally)! Reserve your spot for indoor lunch during check in on the day of your field trip.
- Be sure to respect our live animals and do not tap or bang on the glass of their enclosures.
Check out our FAQs for more information!