13th International Polychaete Conference
Please see our Updates page for new announcements.
At the end of the 12th International Polychaete Conference (IPC) at National Museum Wales, Cardiff, in August 2016, members of the International Polychaetology Association voted to hold the next conference in Long Beach, California, USA in 2019, hosted by California State University, Long Beach, and Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.
This next conference will mark the 30-year anniversary of the 3rd IPC, organized by Dr. Donald Reish and held at California State University, Long Beach, in 1989. Each IPC meeting takes place every three years, and once again bringing the meeting to Long Beach provides an opportunity to recognize Dr. Reish for his long legacy of polychaete research and serving as mentor to many graduate students.
The 13th International Polychaete Conference will take place on the historic oceanliner, RMS Queen Mary. Launched in 1936 from Southampton, England, the Queen Mary was known for elegance in transatlantic travel, which the rich and famous considered as the only civilized way to travel. Noteable passengers included Hollywood celebrities like Bob Hope and Clark Gable, royalty like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and dignitaries like Winston Churchill. Serving as a troop ship during World War II, the Queen Mary resumed passenger service in 1947. Her final voyage in 1967 was to her current location in Long Beach, California, where she serves as a magnificent hotel and meeting venue.
Meeting Code of Conduct
The International Polychaetology Association (IPA) is a nonprofit international organization whose purpose, according to the IPA Constitution is to “encourage research on Polychaeta and stimulate others to participate and cooperate through informal meetings and correspondence; to provide a forum for exchange of ideas; to establish a means and an opportunity for personal contact and interaction in aiming for better mutual understanding; to serve as a liaison body among polychaetologists; and to introduce new students to the workers in this field.”
Additional information on the IPA
List of past and pending International Polychaete Conferences:
1. Australian Museum, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1983
2. August Krogh Institute, Zoological Museum, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1986
3. California State University Long Beach, California, USA, 1989
4. Centre de Congrès, Angers, France, 1992
5. Huanghai Hotel, Qingdao, China, 1995
6. Teatro da Reitoria, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil, 1998
7. Háskólabíó, the University of Iceland Conference Center, Reykjavik, Iceland, 2001
8. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, Madrid, Spain, 2004
9. Holiday Inn by the Sea, Portland, Maine, USA, 2007
10. Officine Cantelmo, Lecce, Italy, 2010
11. Australian Museum, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 2013
12. National Museum Wales, Cardiff, Wales, U.K., 2016
13. The Queen Mary, Long Beach, California, USA, 2019
Memoir of Dr. Donald J. Reish
Read an illuminating account of the life of polychaete colleague, Dr. Donald J. Reish.