2024 City Nature Challenge
The City Nature Challenge is an international effort to document nature in cities, taking place from April 26 to April 29, 2024. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we urge all participants to carefully follow current public health guidelines.
Support for Los Angeles' participation is generously provided by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
City Nature Challenge is about documenting nature where people live, especially in urban areas. Here’s how to participate in or near your home:
Explore your home or yard
- What can you find in your house?
- What can you see through your windows?
- What are the wild plants growing in your backyard? (weeds count!)
- What insects or other creatures are using the cultivated plants in your backyard as a habitat or a food source?
- What observations can you make along the sidewalk in front of your house or apartment complex? (Always be mindful of traffic and safety.)
- Check out more ideas for exploring nature in and around your home.
Explore your neighborhood
- Take a walk and see what kinds of wildlife share your neighborhood.
- Look up to spot birds sitting in trees or on powerlines and telephone poles.
- Look down to find insects crawling on the pavement or underneath leaves.
- What else might you find?
- Visit your local park. Look in the grass, on plants, under benches and tables, and up in the trees. How many different species will you find?
How to Participate
Step 1: Find wildlife anywhere in L.A. County (or your local area).
Step 2: Take photos of WILD** plants & animals.
Step 3: Share Your observations in the iNaturalist app. If it's planted or taken care of by people it is not WILD. Mark it captive/cultivated!
Step 4: Learn more as your finds get identified.
**Wild means not captive or cultivated. Try not to take pictures of captive animals in zoos or aquaria and cultivated plants in your garden or at a nursery.
iNaturalist How-To Videos
Adding an Observation on a Mobile Device
Adding an Observation via the Web
How to Take Identifiable Photos
The City Nature Challenge is brought to you by the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and California Academy of Sciences.